In honor of my 100th post, I'm posting 100 random things about myself. I am too embarrassed to tell you how long I've been working on this list. If you're my friend on Facebook, you'll just have to get over the fact that I've copied some of these from my Random 25 on there! These are in no particular order, thus the randomness.
100. I really love to sing. I think, for me, it's more mood-altering than any drug could be!
99. When Sis was a baby, she absolutely HATED my singing! She preferred Don's singing over mine, for sure! As a lifelong singer, it hurt my feelings a little bit! I'm over it now! And now she loves it when I sing to her.
98. I love to play the piano, but NOT in front of anyone! I took lessons for YEARS, but then went for so long without playing, that I can't seem to get comfortable playing in front of anyone anymore. I think because I can't "fake" it when I make a mistake like I used to be able to.
97. I really wish I could play the drums and the guitar. Based on my skills on Guitar Hero World Tour, though, I'd say there's NO WAY I'll ever become a guitar player. I could probably pull off some drumming if I was playing for an old-time type of Country Band. I think I could pull off the BOOM CHUCK type of drumming.
96. I was in a Christian band when I was a teenager. We mostly played for local youth services, although we did open for a B-list Christian singer once (on my 19th birthday). While it was a lot of fun, I remember having the most fun at the practices! That's when I'd attempt my lame drumming and guitar (bass) skills... when the REAL musicians were feeling generous! Mostly they just made me sing!
95. I was pretty painfully shy when I was younger. I still fight it at times. Although people who have always known me find it hard to believe because if I know you, I don't shut up!
94. I used to question when I was young whether or not I could be a good mom. I was a terrible babysitter, so I was afraid for my future children. It's been the greatest thing ever, though! And each new stage they hit has been a fun adventure for me!
93. I've been married to Don for 13 years. What an awesome 13 years it's been! It just keeps getting better and better!
92. I love to travel! I love going places I've never been before... there's nothing like that thrill of the unknown. I also love going places that I HAVE been before... and sharing them with my kids and Don! Our kids were NOT great travelers when they were little, but now they love it as much as Don and I!
91. I think that someday (when the kids are older) that we'll take some missions trips... all over the world.
90. One of my phobias is of ladders. I'm not afraid of heights, but I am petrified on ladders. I have some great (?) stories of breaking down in tears, freezing mid-climb, and virtual strangers having to help me up/down from those mid-climbs! Obviously, I keep trying (thus the stories), but it doesn't seem to be lessening!
89. Another phobia I have is claustrophobia -- and people claustrophobia to go along with that. There's nothing quite like seeing someone with claustrophobia getting an MRI (according to Don). I was a wreck! They gave me a valium the 2nd time around... MUCH better! This people claustrophobia thing I have... I'm guessing it probably has a name. I just get freaked out in crowds. But guess where I am EVERY year the day after Thanksgiving with my sisters? Yup, the mall. Go figure. I think it's because I've psyched myself up, KNOWING it's going to be crowded.
88. I procrastinate. And I'm frequently late. Or at least running late. It drives Don crazy!!!
87. I am not a morning person. Never have been. Apparently I never will be. I always heard it would change once I had kids. Nope. I get up earlier than I used to, but it's not cheerfully!!! I don't really talk until about 10:00 in the mornings.
86. While my personality has PLENTY of flaws, I am rarely in a bad mood. And if I do get in one, I can't sustain it for long. Sometimes THAT makes me mad! :)
85. I am going to be a little sad when Bub quits sneaking into our bed at night.
84. I love what I do for a career, but I've (finally) learned to leave it at work (for the most part). Once I leave on a Friday afternoon, it is RARE for me to think about work again until I'm getting ready for work on a Monday morning.
83. Shoes and handbags have always been my weakness. Especially shoes. All kinds of shoes: from tennis shoes to high heels. I have 2 benches in my closet that hold 60 pairs of shoes (I can fit 2 pairs of summer shoes into some of them). They still don't hold all my shoes, and my boots have their own spots as well.
82. Speaking of my closet, it used to be our bedroom before we remodeled.
81. We remodeled our house about 3 years ago. We had to move out for 8 months during the remodel. We made it our dream home.
80. I used to want to live in our house until the kids were grown and gone, but now I don't know...
79. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of person. And I married that type of person as well.
78. I grew up Pentecostal, and "moved" to Assemblies of God when I was 16. I wore dresses or skirts all through high school.
77. I am just now reading the entire Bible the whole way through. I am over 3/4 of the way through it. I love how relevant it is...
76. I love change, if I control it. Thus, the drastic haircuts, etc. The changes that I DON'T control... not so much!
75. I taught myself how to knit a few years ago. All because my sister-in-law laughed at me that I wouldn't spend $45 on an outlet scarf because I said I could knit it myself. I bought "Knitting for Dummies" and knitted her a scarf for Christmas!
74. I want to learn how to sew. I bought Sis a sewing machine for Christmas for BOTH of us to learn how (she wants to be a fashion designer)... it's still in the box at this point!
73. My daughter is caring, dramatic, artistic, a good mix of girly/tomboy, smart, clever, stylish, talkative, and fun to be with. I'm honored to be her mom.
72. My son is funny, athletic, sensitive, loving, cuddly, rough and tumble, smart, shaggy-haired, and fun to be with. I'm honored to be his mom.
71. I married my best friend. I'm honored to be his wife.
70. I have the cutest nieces and nephew in the world!
69. Being with my siblings and parents is soooo fun for me! I regularly laugh so hard I cry when I'm with them!
68. I also really love Don's family. We have a great time together. And laugh a LOT. Sensing a trend?
67. We try to have a "no electronics" day once a week. We either all read that evening, or we play board games. Our favorites are Apples to Apples Jr., Sorry (no one really ever is!), Phase 10, Trouble, Battleship, and Bub's new Indiana Jones card game.
66. I'm pretty sure this is the most I've ever talked about myself all in one sitting. It's like a weird job interview. Or a first date. Neither of which are fun!
65. I am a latent perfectionist. Meaning, that if I don't think (or know) I'll be instantly or naturally perfect at something, I won't even try. It comes across as lazy sometimes! :) Sis is just like me this way. She can tell you within one practice of a sport if she wants to quit or not (meaning, if she struggles, she wants to quit).
64. I feel blessed to have girl cousins (and sisters) that I have always enjoyed hanging out with. I have so many fun memories (both recent and OLDDD) spending time with C, E, M, J, D, and all the others!!!
63. I wish I didn't like reality TV, but I've fallen victim to it's "charms." Don doesn't watch one single one with me (everyone in a while, I can get him to watch Amer!can Idol with me), but I've gotten the kids just as addicted! We watch: B!ggest Loser, T0p Chef, Pr*ject Runway, Americ*'s Next T0p Model, etc... we're pathetic!
62. I read way too many blogs.
61. Folding socks is my least favorite domestic activity. And grocery shopping.
60. I wish my siblings all lived closer (like in the same town even!).
59. I don't know how to swim. Well, not really. I could
58. I sang my first solo in church when I was 2.
57. My dad used to be a part-time evangelist when I was little (full-time before I was born), so my sister and I used to sing in church together a LOT.
56. My family used to stand Christy and I up on a table when we were little at family reunions to have us sing for everyone.
55. At my grandfather's 80th birthday party (with his twin), a distant cousin asked us to stand on a table and sing. We were in our 30's. We politely declined.
54. My mom used to sew a lot of my clothes and made us dinner from scratch every night. I was so unappreciative. I used to cry because I didn't have tags in my clothes, and we couldn't eat at P!zza Hut like everyone else... I had to eat homemade pizza! What a brat!
53. I hated my red hair and freckles when I was little. Until someone told me I looked like Holly Hobbie and Laura Ingalls... after that, I embraced my "uniqueness." (not really unique when I look like someone else, is it? I get the irony.)
52. I am a grammatical/spelling snob, although you can't always tell by my blogging. But it'll be a rare day that you see me misuse your and you're.
51. Part-time jobs I had before I started my career: been a file clerk at a law firm; worked at Km*rt; worked as a student secretary for the AFR0TC at my college; worked part-time at the mall at Paul Harr!s, G*p, Famous B*rr, a jewelry store; worked a summer at an oil refinery; worked a summer at a road construction company; worked for a financial planner; worked a temp job at a motor company; worked a temp job at a hospital.
50. I am not interesting enough to come up with 100 things about myself! UGH!!! I'm only half way through!
49. I am way too sarcastic for my own good.
48. I burn one batch of pancakes every time I cook them. It's usually either the first set or the last.
47. I can whistle with my 2 fingers in my mouth... I'm so proud!
46. I had to give Sis the Hemlich maneuver once... she swallowed a piece of Hulk's hands (one of Bub's toys). I didn't panic until afterwards.
45. My goal is to read 50 books in 2009.
44. I don't really like to talk on the phone.
43. I cannot share milk with anyone, even Don or the kids.
42. I have some friends who make it their personal goal to make me gag (it's not that difficult!).
41. I went kicking and screaming a year and a half ago to Financial Pe*ce University at my church... I actually like being on a budget now. It's like a puzzle to get what I want within my budget. Well, maybe I don't LIKE it, but I at least get it now.
40. Because of #41, I don't go to T*rget very much any more. It's WAYYYY to much temptation for me!
39. I have popped my knuckles since I was a kid. What a disgusting habit!
38. I hate politics. I was never more glad to have a DVR than last campaign period (so I could fast forward through all the political commercials).
37. I rarely watch the news. I get most of my news online.
36. I love when Sis tries out new words she reads. It reminds me of me, especially when she doesn't get it quite right.
35. I once co-instructed an adolescent psychology class for independent studies credit. I showed the movie Breakfast Club and took the class on a field trip to a juvenile detention center. That's probably the most interesting credits I earned in my undergrad.
34. I hate to file. Except for my nails. I love to file those!
33. I do like to alphabetize, though. All of our CDs are alphabetized according to their category (our music, the kids' music, Christmas music, etc.).
32. When I remember big events in my life (music contests, first date with Don, the night he proposed, etc), I can always remember what I was wearing.
31. I love most kids' movies. I can't watch them 100+ times like my kids like to, but I do enjoy them the first time.
30. I have an unnatural fear of the dentist's office. Chalk it up to a REALLY bad experience getting my wisdom teeth removed. Luckily, my current dentist knows about my fear, and is cool about it.
29. My laid-backness does NOT exist when someone messes with my family. I turn into a she-bear if someone messes with Don or the kids. It's always funny afterward to remember how I acted though... right??
28. I love sushi!!!
27. I am physically unable to tan. Before I got married, I went to the tanning bed 10+ times... a girl I met asked me if I got money back from the tanning bed company and introduced me to her in-laws as "the whitest girl I've ever met!"
26. I've never seen a St*r W*rs movie.
25. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was in my 20s.
24. I got a tattoo for my 30th birthday. I don't regret doing it, but I have no desire for any more.
23. I have a hard time finishing things I start. The excitement for me is the start-up. Once I know I can do something, I lose interest in the project.
22. Because of #23, it's amazing that I am on my 100th post of this blog. That implies commitment. Huh.
21. I am always on a quest to understand myself and others. My sister and I used to spend HOURS analyzing ourselves and those around us while we were in college (psych majors, can you tell???).
20. I love office supply shopping. And new paper. Fancy paper. And fun post-its. It really doesn't take much for me...
19. My favorite non-water drink is coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.
18. 18 is Don's favorite number. I think of him every time I see it.
17. I used to be able to type 89 wpm with one error. I can't do that anymore, but I still type pretty fast.
16. I've never been able to do a cartwheel.
15. I drive a stick-shift car. I love it... it makes me feel like a race-car driver.
14. I kill all my indoor plants eventually. I forget to water them. I think my plants at work have only survived as long as they have because other people sneak in to water them!
13. I have lived in five houses since I've been married, 2 in Kentucky and 3 here. Only one of those we DIDN'T remodel in some way!
12. I am really not very interesting... in fact, if you are still reading at this point... WOW!!!
11. I liked Disney World as an adult way more than I thought I would. I only went so my children would have the "experience." I'm not sure I'll ever go again, but I did enjoy it.
10. I feel like I've lost an appendage when I forget my PDA at home or somewhere else. One might say I'm addicted...
9. I am easily distracted. I often start one project, get distracted by a new project, start on that one, etc. This ties in somewhat with #23.
8. I believe that God created me for a specific purpose. I don't know exactly what that purpose is yet, but in the meantime, I believe it's my job to live like what I'm doing IS God's purpose.
7. I am terrified of mice. Which isn't good living in the country... which is why I'm glad we now have 2 outside cats.
6. Outside the USA, I've been to Canada, Mexico, Belize, St. Thomas, Barbados, Aruba, Belgium, Germany, and France.
5. One thing on my "bucket list" is to visit every state in the US. I made a list once, but I need to refresh my memory on how many states I have left. I plan to hit two of those states (I've never visited before) this summer.
4. I have a terrible sense of direction. I used to joke that I could get lost in our little bitty mall in town that I've been to thousands of time.
3. I rarely pay full price for clothing (unless it's really cheap already!). I get a rush from finding a bargain. My best deal yet: I got a 7 for *ll M*nkind denim skirt for $3 at the G**dwill!
2. I used to break out in hives on any exposed skin at the G**dwill or yard sales when I was a kid (so did my sister). I think we must have been allergic to moth balls or something, but our mom used to tease us that our skin was snobby.
1. I am SO GLAD this list is completed!!! I hope I didn't bore you to tears!