Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Despicable Deliciousness

So, I've gotten sucked into the Pinterest craze... meaning I'm CRAZY for it!  For those of you not familiar with it, it's like an online bulletin board where you can "pin" things you're interested in on your bulletin boards.

I believe I've made it clear on here before that I am NOT crafty...  I've instituted a Christmas-time baking cookie "tradition" (if doing it twice makes it a tradition), but I am always SO crabby by the end of that "fun."  It's the decorating part of the baking that stresses me out so much, I think.  Because it's crafty.

Anyhoo, I found this photo on Pinterest:




And Bub was ALL OVER IT.  He wanted us to make them RIGHT NOW.  Which was like a Tuesday.  And we had no ingredients.  Nor was I in the mood.  So I convinced him to wait until Thanksgiving break.

Which was today.  Which he reminded me of as soon as the week started.

These little guys on the cupcakes are Minions.  From the movie Despicable Me.  Which my kids LOVED.

So, today was the day.  For craftiness.  *yay*

So, we decided to try it.  Introducing:  our cast of characters.  LOTS AND LOTS OF SUGARY GOODNESS.


Sis wasn't interested in helping us with the cupcakes, but she separated the Smarties for us... we needed the white ones separated from the other colors.

We had to wait for our cupcakes to cool before we could begin.

Bub googled Minions to make sure we remembered what they looked like.

We iced a cupcake, then put a Twinkie half on the top.

We put a line of black icing around the front and added either one or two Smarties.

We traced the Smartie to finish off the goggles, added the dot in the eye and finished off their smiles.  We tried to use the red licorice for their hair, but we couldn't make that work (it should have been black anyway, but the store was out of black tear-apart licorice)... so we skipped the hair.

Here's the whole group of them... just don't look at them too close or you might find...

A rabid Minion.  Doesn't he look like he just ate someone's blood?

Or the unibrow Minion.  No wonder he doesn't smile.

And that poor guy in the back.  We just feel bad for that poor guy.

But you know what?  Overall, I like our cute little Minions.

Bub and I have already decided that these guys will probably look pretty pitiful by the time they make it to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  I think the black icing is already absorbing into the Twinkies, the eyes are drooping WELL below where they should be.  But you know what?  I did the whole project with Bub, and didn't get crabby at ALL.  I call that a crafty WIN.

1 comment:

dulce de leche said...

Awesome! Those are adorable. I am totally with you on the crafty thing. It is pathetic how rarely I do anything crafty with the kids. We love to bake, but we don't decorate the finished product much at all. Might have to make an exception for those cute cupcakes, though. :)